Katya is a lead product designer at Facebook, working on Social VR and Facebook Spaces. Prior to that, Katya led the design for Audio 360 at Facebook and design of the software suit Spatial Workstation for spatial audio production for 360 videos and Cinematic VR. She excited about making VR more accessible, and explore new possibilities at the intersection of physical and digital experiences.
Immersive Design for VR Storytelling
6 hrs Workshop (Full Day hands on) | Category: Experiences for Emergent Tech | Target Audience: Anyone interested in understanding the fundamental principles of designing for immersive media. Designers, UX professionals, PMs, etc.
Virtual Reality (VR) is becoming a popular tool for telling stories, and now you have the chance to experience it firsthand! Join the Facebook Social VR team for this exclusive workshop where you will learn the principles of immersive storytelling and build your own story in VR.
Three key takeaways:
- Learn fundamental principles of immersive storytelling.
- Learn step-by-step methodology on how to approach crafting a story for immersive media.
- Get hands-on experience and create your own story in VR.
Rough outline of your workshop:
- Demos of Facebook Spaces and how to use Oculus Rift.
- Intro to Immersive Storytelling presentation.
- Designing Facebook Spaces use case study.
- Add existing 360 video or learn how to record your own 360 video to include in your story.
- Step by step hands-on exercise to build a storyline for immersive media (in groups).
- Stage and record your story on Oculus Rift.
- Go home with an immersive story that you have crafted yourself and can show to your friends & family.
People First. Designing Facebook Spaces.
30 min Case study | Category: Experiences for Emergent Tech.
With Virtual Reality, we have an opportunity to build a first people centered platform. If for decades the computers and smartphones have been organized around applications, in VR we can switch that around entirely and design experiences where people are at the core, and then build utility and services on top.
VR is the next big leap for connecting and bringing people together. It has the power to connect people across time and distances in a new powerful way that makes you feel like you are right next to that person.
That’s exactly what we’ve been trying to do with the first product we’ve built, Facebook Spaces. With Facebook Spaces you can be with your friends and feel like you’re in the same room, even if you’re thousands of miles away from each other. Everyone has an avatar, and sits around a virtual table. That’s the core of the experience. People. Nothing is more important in Spaces than the people you’re with.
Three key takeaways:
- People first approach to designing for VR.
- Designing VR interfaces for humans.
- Unique design challenges for VR.